CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 23, 2009

... was deeelish!

Although I cook a lot, and think of myself as a pretty darn good cook, it's not often that I really, truly enjoy the meals I make. Sure, they taste good, but I think it's the fact- yes, a FACT- that things taste better when you don't make them. Sandwiches prove this point to me every time I eat one. I can make the same ham and cheese as someone else, and theirs will always taste better than mine to me. Am I just crazy? Any who, I bring this up because the other night I made something that just knocked my socks off and I had to share it. This recipe originally came from Martha, but of course, I tweaked it. I give you...


Ham and Sage Stuffed Chicken with Dijon Dill Sauce


4 slices white sandwich bread, cut into cubes

2 oz. sliced ham, chopped

½ tsp. dried sage

4 sliced Swiss cheese, chopped

4 tbsp. olive oil

Salt and Pepper

4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 tbsp butter

1 tbsp flour

1 cup milk

½ tsp dill weed

1 tbsp Dijon mustard


1. In a bowl, combine bread, ham, cheese, sage, and 2 tbsp olive oil.

2. Lay chicken flat on work surface. Using a paring knife, cut a 2-in-long slit in the thick side of the chicken breast. Insert knife, and pivot, carefully forming a deep pocket without enlarging the opening. Stuff each pocket with the bread mixture, packing tightly; season chicken with salt and pepper.

3. In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on one side, 6-8 mins. Turn chicken over, cover skillet, and reduce to medium heat. Cook until opaque throughout, 6-8 mins. more. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

4. Melt butter over medium heat in small sauce pan. Add flour and stir until combined. Pour milk slowly into flour mixture, stirring constantly until thickened adding more milk as necessary to achieve desired thickness. Stir in dill and mustard to finish. Ladle sauce over chicken to serve.


Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think. I served it up with a baked potato, and some broccoli and green beans that I sautéed in the pan used for the chicken. It tied the veggies in really nicely to the chicken.


On a side note, I’ve been working on Emmie’s Halloween Costume today. She’s been mildly obsessed with the Wizard of Oz after watching it for the first time last month. She’ll make a stinkin’ cute Dorothy.


No comments: