CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

NERD

So, I've done it. I've become a complete coupon nerd. A few weeks ago, I went to a class a girl from church was giving on couponing. I'm all about being cheap ( not that kind of cheap- I've just never liked the phrase "thrifty", or "frugal". Much like my dislike for the word "moist"..eew.) so I thought I'd give it a shot.

There are lots of blogs where the crazy couponers do (most) of the work for you. You just have to know where to look and learn some of the lingo. I've spent the last few weeks learning and collecting coupons. Today was my day to give it a go.

It was time for my monthly grocery shopping extravaganza -I hate food shopping, so I go as little as possible- and maybe I went a little crazy. Maybe some seasoned couponers (or not) can get a better than I did. Maybe I didn't add my totals right and I paid $15 more than I should have. But, I'm happy. I think I got a steal and I'm finally able to start stocking up my food storage.

So here comes the nerdy part-I took pictures. I got home, layed everything out that I bought and took pictures. In the couponing world, this is a common practice; buy your groceries, take pictures, and blog about the awesome deal you got. But, did I really do that? Yes. Wanna see? (Don't worry, I won't do this every time I go shopping)



What I got:

20 lbs. AP flour
10 cans Green Giant Veggies
4 Boxes Cheerios
2 Boxes Cinnamon Toast Crunch
1 Box Golden Grahams
1 Box Trix
6 Boxes 110 ct. Kleenex
2 Lipton Soup Mix Pkgs.
4 Betty Crocker Cake Mix
2 Betty Crocker Specialty Potatoes
3 Knorr Rice Pkgs.
1 Betty Crocker Frosting
9 cans Progresso Soup
1 Chex Mix
4 cartons Progress Chicken Broth
2 Viva Paper Towels
6 boxes Fiber One Granola Bars
4 cans Pilsbury Crescent Rolls
2 Betty Crocker Brownie Mixes
5 Jars Skippy Peanut Butter
1 pkg. Klondike Bars
2 Best foods Mayonaise
4 Ragu Pasta Sauces
2 Cottonelle Flushable Wipes
1 gallon Litehouse Apple Cider
5lb Idaho Potatoes
1 Litehouse Dressing
1 bag Crispy Onions
10.5 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breats
3 lbs Beef Blade Steak
1 Danimals Drinkable Yogurt.
2 Healthy Choice Frzn. Entrees

What I paid: $104.23 (Would have been $89.23 if I wouldn't have forgotten how to count.)

A lot of these items I probably wouldn't normally buy. I generally try to stay away from too many processed foods. Sadly, for the most part, the foods that are promoted with coupons and deep discounts are. But, I see it as a great way to stock up my food storage. I'm sure I'll eat a bowl of Trix if I'm hungry enough and Mr. Cheney will eat it regardless- especially at $.50 a box!

If you're just jumping to be a nerd like me and want to know the tricks of the trade- and there are a few- here are some blogs I like. Most of them have posts that explain how to get started and some of the lingo you'll need to know to understand the posts.

www.athrifymom.com
www.fistfulofcoupons.com
www.thekrazycouponlady.com

Have fun!

No comments: